Job Title: Lighting Designer / Project Manager- All Levels Considered!
Company Name: Birkenstock Lighting Designs, Inc
City / Area: San Rafael
Type: Full Time - Experienced
Contact Person Name: Inga Birkenstock
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: (415) 488-4168
Company Website: http://bld-light.com
Job Description: As a Lighting Designer / Project Manager for bld, you would assist the lighting design principal in the development of architectural lighting strategies and solutions and help perform the tasks necessary to provide a package for hip and high-performance projects.
As an employee of bld, you would initially accompany the principal to client meetings and learn the design philosophy that bld has established. Eventually, you would start managing projects more independently, checking in with the principal on a regular basis. You would make frequent trips to San Francisco and surrounding areas as well as less seldom trips all over the west coast as required for client meetings and site visits. bld is known for service, support and enthusiasm. As an employee, you will be expected to understand the critical nature of maintaining the integrity of relationships, schedules and budgets.
You will be expected to advance your lighting knowledge by attending courses and manufacturer presentations, and possibly factory and lighting convention trips, sometimes on your own time.
This position will offer the unique opportunity of seeing all stages of a project, from conceptual design meetings, initial site visits, working with product samples, constructing project detail mock-ups, construction oversight, collaborating with the entire design and construction team, and participating in the closeout of a project by focusing and programming lighting controls. Our growing office offers exceptional opportunities for mentorship and rapid career development and advancement.
Education and Skills Requirements: Experience:
• College graduate
• 2-3+ years of experience in a design firm
• Lighting equipment knowledge
• Adobe CS5 (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator)
• AG32 and/or 3D Studio Max/Elum Tools
• Hand drawing skills
• Math and geometry as it pertains to Architecture and Energy Usage
• Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Required Basic Personal Traits and Work Ethic:
• Attention to details, especially regarding architecture and interiors
• Enthusiastic problem solver
• Excellent client-care and relationship instincts
• Excellent listener
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Outgoing and friendly personality lending to positive teamwork
• Passion for all things design
• Strong creative backbone
• Strong motivation and professional initiative
• Balance creativity and practicality
• Have an independent yet collaborative work style
• Patiently change directions and projects quickly
• Proactively manage deadlines on multiple projects
• Quickly grasp the essence of the task at hand and next steps
• Research Code, LEED, CA Title 24
• Take ownership and responsibility for a task
• Think quickly on your feet
• Visualize and quickly understand complex architectural spaces
Nice to Have Skills:
• California Title 24, CalGreen, and LEED knowledge
• Lighting equipment knowledge (Products and Costs)
• Presentation skills
• Project management experience
• A reliable car
• Flexibility in personal life schedule
• Must love dogs
Company Background: bld is a San Francisco Bay Area based studio that collaborates on projects with world renowned interior designers, architects and developers across the country.
At bld our vision is to set lighting trends by imagining and implementing cutting edge design and techniques combined with the knowledge of newest technology to raise the bar for what can be done with light, both electric and natural!
bld approaches lighting differently than most lighting consultants in that our designs are integrated into the fabric of the architecture rather than simply being attached to it. Our lighting staff has the knowledge and creativity needed to employ light as an artistic tool as well as a scientific one.
bld designs consistently exceed client expectations, WOW occupants and visitors, fulfill architects' visions and make projects memorable for everyone involved.
While designing to the strictest codes in the world, the majority of our projects seek LEED certification (from silver to platinum), WELL Building, and many other programs. Therefore, in addition to creativity, there is a strong need for basic math, geometry and product knowledge. The team uses technical skills, research and calculations to achieve a highly sustainable project that utilizes less energy and more daylight.
Visit our website at www.bld-light.com.